Sunday, July 16, 2017

Why I Dumped England For Nigeria – Iwobi

Arsenal midfielder, 21, played in Three Lions youth teams before deciding to play international football for the country where he was born. Image result for Why I dumped England for Nigeria – Iwobi
Alex Iwobi has revealed how England failed in a last-ditch bid to switch countries back from Nigeria.

He said, “As I was about to play my first match for Nigeria, Roy Hodgson was in contact with Arsenal saying ‘we’d like him to get involved with Under-21s’ but my mind was made up. It’s my decision.

“Originally, I’m from Nigeria. I always felt comfortable there. It was a hard decision because I’d played for England but I felt more at home there. When I first went they treated me like royalty, like a king. It’s a big thing there to play for Arsenal too.”
Image result for Why I dumped England for Nigeria – Iwobi

Iwobi broke into the team two years ago and is looking to hit the heights of his breakthrough campaign.

He said, “I have a point to prove. I didn’t play as much as I’d like to last year. I want to start the season with a bang.

“I’ve been doing a bit of running and ball work to prepare. I need to be a bit more hungry this year, add more goals and assists.

“At the start of last season I played a lot. I want to do that all year. Consistency is the key with me. “Goals win games. I need to add that. Arsene Wenger  spoke to me towards the end of last season and said ‘show me you’re able to do that and I’ll give you a chance.”

No comments: