Tuesday, February 18, 2014

I Won't Apologise To Amaechi Even Though I Almost Ruined Him In 2007 — Obasanjo

Former President Olusegun Obasanjo during his visit yesterday to Rivers State refused to apologise to Rivers State gover Rotimi Amaechi for saying his candidature in the 2007 governorship election in the state on the platform of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) as being illegitimate.
Obasanjo who then called his candidature as having ‘K-Leg’, Said the saga came to an end on October 25, 2007, when the Supreme Court sacked Sir Celestine Omehia and declared Amaechi as the duly elected governor of Rivers State.
Obasanjo, who spoke yesterday while commissioning the Ambassador Nne Kurukurubo Model Secondary School, Ebubu-Eleme in Eleme local government area of the state, said he only acted as the leader of the PDP, on a report against the governor.
He said, “Since the governor has scratched the surface, maybe I have to scratch deeper. Amaechi talked about ‘K-Leg’; I believe that as a leader, when I have something that requires action, that action must be taken; if not, I am not a leader. A report came about him which indicated that his candidature had ‘K-Leg’.
“As a result of the ‘K-Leg’, what was supposed to be was not to be.
“He did what was required in a democratic dispensation; he went to court to straighten the ‘K-Leg’. I am one of those who found the Supreme Court judgement awkward in the sense that a man who never contested in an election was declared governor.
“He won at the Supreme Court and that ended the ‘K-Leg.’ Anyone who is not okay with the Supreme Court should wait for the judgement of the Supreme Being. The ‘K-Leg’ has been straightened. After serving out his first tenure, he contested again and won his second term with landslide; so, what are you talking about ‘K-Leg’ again?
“If anything has been done because of the decision I took because as a leader, I had to take such decision at that time, I have no apology. When I take decisions, I fast and pray; I ask for God’s guidance.”
Obasanjo said he told Amaechi not to hold anything against his predecessor over his predicament before he became governor, saying as the leader of the party and president of the country, he should be held responsible for all that happened.
He said, “I phoned Rotimi; I know he may not remember, and told him not to hold his predecessor responsible for what happened to him. I told him to hold me responsible that as the leader of the country, I was in charge.”
The former president commended Amaechi for his developmental strides in the state, saying the auditorium of the model secondary school was better than those found in most tertiary institutions in the country.
In his speech, Rivers State governor, Rt. Hon. Chibuike Rotimi Amaechi, said the decision of the state government to invite Obasanjo to the state, was to enable the former leader to see for himself what his administration has achieved since it came on board in 2007.
READ MORE:  http://news.naij.com/59532.html?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=share-button-popup&utm_campaign=facebook

No comments: